Today is a very special day for you, my little Emmabug. Exactly one year ago today, you were born. Everyone was so happy that you were finally here, but I know for certain that I was the happiest of them all. You see, Emma, I was born on the same day as you were, exactly forty years ago. Not only are you my Daughter and I am your Daddy, but we share the same birthday as well, and that’s a very special thing.
Since you came into my life, I have felt love in ways that I never imagined possible. You have brought new meaning to my life and for your birthday, I wanted to tell you how much I love you. And I know you can’t really read yet, so maybe Mama can read this out loud to you.
- I love that you are almost always happy. Even when you are feeling fussy or sad, it doesn’t take long for Mama to make you smile that big, toothy smile.
- I love sitting next to you at the dinner table. Watching you take such joy in eating, it makes my food taste better.
- I love watching you play on the family room floor. It doesn’t matter if it’s your toys, stuffed animals, and instruments, or if it’s a wooden cookie (coaster), a plastic water bottle, and a bowl of Cheerios, you always seem to be having fun.
- I love it when you use my legs to pull yourself up off the ground. You then flash me that cute, crinkly-nose smile before going on your merry way.
- I love riding in my wheelchair with you in my lap. You know, for a baby, you are an excellent driver.
- I love that you love books. Whether it’s sitting with Mama reading “I Love You Through and Through” together or sitting by yourself on the floor flipping through the pages of “Peek-a-Baby”, it’s obvious that you’re going to be a reader soon.
- I love that you have music in your blood. Sure, you dance a little whenever you hear any song but you really cut loose when there’s a rock song (like Billy Squier’s “Everybody Wants You” or Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps”) on the computer. You are such a Daddy’s Girl.
- I love that your favorite things are the cordless house phone (“Hi!”) and the Comcast remote control. I love even more that you are allowed to play with them.
- I love it when you hear my footsteps and cane taps on the hardwood floor from your play area in the family room and you scream “Dada” as loud as you can and crawl to meet me in the hallway.
- I love seeing you cruise around the wooden coffee table. Judging by how well you are starting to stand on your own, you are going to be walking very soon.
- I (secretly) love hearing you cry out from your crib on weekend mornings because Mama usually brings you into bed with us so we can sleep for a few hours more as a family.
- I love your curiosity about everything. That which you don’t know, you figure out, and then, you don’t forget.
- I love your spirit. From that twinkle in your eyes to your easy going nature, you are indeed blessed with a kind and beautiful soul.
Happy First Birthday, Emma!
April 1, 2009